(This article is English translation of Japanese version. My personal impression is omitted.)
I have benchmarked three latest codecs and one classic codec.
Measurement conditions are:
- Core i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge, 3.4GHz, 4C8T) and Core i7-4770 (Haswell, 3.4GHz, 4C8T)
- Video clip
- crowd_run, 1920×1080, 500f (converted to 2K from 4K YUV420 in Derf’s Test Media Collection at Xiph.org)
- Measurement tool
- vctest 2.1.0 x64
MagicYUV and AMV4 state that they are optimized to AVX2. They should achieve high performance on i7-4770, which supports AVX2.
AMV4 does not support multithreading. It is uncommon nowadays. The author says that AMV4 is very fast enough to achieve sufficient performance without multithreading.
AMV4 supports inter-frame compression. However, the results of AMV4 with inter-frame compression are excluded because its performance is almost same whether inter-frame compression is enabled or not (in case of crowd_run).
(Click images to enlarge)
- Compression ratio
- Lagarith and UtVideo (median) achieve highest compression ratio.
- UtVideo (left) achieves much lower compression ratio than UtVideo (median).
- MagicYUV (median) and MagicYUV (gradient) achieve almost same compression ratio.
- AMV4 achieves lowest compression ratio (due to video clip)
- Encoding speed
- On UtVideo and MagicYUV, difference of encoding speed between different prediction methods is small.
- AMV4 (DR3/DY3) is much slower than AMV4 (DR2/DY2), because of additional process (the author calls it “secondary compression”).
- Decoding speed
- UtVideo (median) is much slower than UtVideo (left).
- MagicYUV (median) and MagicYUV (gradient) are almost same
- AMV4 (DR3/DY3) is much slower than AMV4 (DR2/DY2) (because of “secondary compression”)
- UtVideo is not very faster on Haswell. UtVideo does not have optimized routine for AVX2
- MagicYUV is quite faster on Haswell. Encoding is slightly faster and Decoding is quite faster.
- AMV4 is drastically faster on Haswell, both encoding and decoding
- AMV4 does not output RGB24 during decoding